Monday, April 19, 2010

Streetsailing! Dude that's awesome!

Back in the fall I was in elite downtown Boston (different part of Boston than just downtown in my opinion-aka (by me) Hancock district) and it was a quiet Sunday afternoon and a windy one at that. The streets were empty - I guess no one dared enter driving as it's usually a nightmare to find parking. This dare-devil thrill seeker however found a ripe opportunity to do some - what is best described as street surfing. He basically got on board a skate board and harnessed the wind using a large sheet of plastic as a sail to propel him in the wind which worked perfectly as he steered and glided down the wide empty street effortlessly amidst preppy and snazzy establishments and restaurants. I was in awe and utter jealousy as I longed to experience the adrenaline rush I imagined he received from the unusual ride. I thought it rather ingenious of him and discovered that there were many others like him nationwide who practice this sport formally known as street windsurfing with properly designed gear to boot. Of course after the fact it was so logical to think of surfing down a street - people have done it for years without a sail. And now I have added it to my list of things I must learn sooner than before I die. Although not right up there with learning to play a guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment