Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Listening ear

I believe anyone can learn music and play even if you can’t carry a tune. We are all musical beings some more than others with specifically the ability to create music - even though, with much practice, even that could be learned. The catch is, most of us are average at music or one of those who can't carry a tune for the life of us. Look at Elvis Presley he became an icon but he was described as average in music by his teachers. Madonna is not a great singer but a good entertainer and she's learned to carry a tune enough for her songs. So the music scene is comprised of average musicians. Alright, i'll stop picking on my least favorite people in music but so many pop artists today could be made an example. Personally my perfectionism prevents me from dabbling in music myself although I always wanted to be a professional singer. I dabble in other ways such as by finding good alternate music (lesser known artists) so my ipod doesn't sound like a Ryan Seacrest music countdown. Although even when I try to do this I still end up with popular music. That could be attributed to my excellent choices of course (after all -little known fact- I could be credited with being one of the first to discover Muse this side of the planet) or total control of music promotion by all forms of media. I like not knowing Lady Gaga's latest nonsensical lyrical mumblings by heart or hearing a chronicle of one of Ke$ha's drunken escapades. In fact alcoholism seems to be touted in the media with popular young female musical forgeries (would you call any of them real musicians?) these days-but that's another post if I get to it. I often dare to imagine the creative musical limits and boundaries Mozart might have broken were he still alive. But I do not begin to bare a sliver of the credentials to even mention him in this blog... Some of my samplings may be found at: www.pandora.com/people/tamatash That's if they could get the gist of my musical taste right.

No comments:

Post a Comment