Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Green is good

This year has been a green year. I have been looking for signs of green because everything that has been green has turned out to be a good thing for me. It all started when I moved in to my new apartment and someone gifted a pot set that they were getting rid of and it was all enameled green. It was so cute and suited me just fine. Since then all throughout the year I had met with green things for my kitchen all gifted. Then it applied to something totally unexpected when I was searching for internet service and I didn't want Verizon or AT&T/Comcast (you can't fool me) both of which I have sworn off years ago as being terrible companies on principle and customer service. I also don't believe in cable. It's a hoax! plus television isn't any good these days and robs us of our creativity. So I started searching for something like a start-up company with smarts. I thought in this day and age of ipods and innovation, dsl must be outdated and that's when I came across CLEAR. The website looked professional, had green everywhere and here they were offering 4G using WiMax technology! when last I heard Verizon only had 3G. It sounded like the future to me exactly the kind of innovation I knew was out there. To explain the 4G techno a little I borrowed the following explanation from Wikipedia:

"The nomenclature of the generations generally refers to a change in the fundamental nature of the service, non-backwards compatible transmission technology, higher spectral bandwidth and new frequency bands. New generations have appeared about every ten years since the first move from 1981 analog (1G) to digital (2G) transmission in 1992. This was followed, in 2001, by 3G multi-media support, spread spectrum transmission and at least 200 kbit/s, in 2011 expected to be followed by 4G, which refers to all-IP packet-switched networks, mobile ultra-broadband (gigabit speed) access and multi-carrier transmission."
WiMax (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Accesson the other hand well that simply allowed lifting the constraints of wires and cables. Bottom line - bigger and better.  Signing up was a breeze. I had the choice of purchasing my device or leasing it and they didnt have to call my preschool principal to verify that I was me and that I was honest about it. They simply posted at the interaction "because that's how we roll". I was thrilled. I purchased my device, signed up and when it came in the mail, I plugged it in usb and voila! I was on like corn. Thanks to Craig McCaw the Steve Jobs in telecommuinications.

No comments:

Post a Comment